One of our favorite Google Reader apps, Nextgen Reader, has received a very nice update in the Windows Phone Store. We’ve been waiting for Nextgen to get updated for Windows Phone 8 for a while. Version 4 brings Nextgen up to speed with Windows Phone 8 and adds a lot of new features.
First thing you’ll notice is an updated app icon that looks more like the Nextgen app for Windows 8. Staying on the aesthetic side, there is a new theme called “Paper.” Instead of a white background it has a cream color that should be much easier on eyes. Since this is a Windows Phone 8 update we also get the great new features you would expect. Fast app resume, three tile sizes, and lockscreen notifications are all included. There is a lot of other great stuff in Nextgen like Readability mode, gestures, and some fixes to improve performance.
Check out the full changelog below. Nextgen Reader has a free unlimited trial, or you can support the developer by buying the app for $1.99. If you use Google Reader this is a must-have app.
- Support for HD and higher resolutions.
- Brand new icon (similar to Windows 8 app).
- Brand new “paper” theme for great reading experience.
- Fast app resume from start screen.
- Support for small, medium and wide live tiles.
- Support for Lock-screen notifications.
- Always read complete stories using “full article mode” (powered by Readability).
- Customize article list views.
- New gestures for changing articles.
- New metro style share menu.
- New: ‘Show image captions’ in articles view.
- New: Pin ‘subscriptions list’ to start from app bar.
- Do not hide read items immediately (added option to hide instantly for v3.x behavior).
- Faster image caching by 2-3x times.
- Improved YouTube support with IE10.
- Fixed: Image resizing in article view.
- Several other UX/design improvements, bug fixes and enhancements.