Microsoft has shocked us this morning with some pretty big announcements. First they have officially announced the GDR3 update, or as they refer to it: “Update 3.” They have also announced a way that you can download it and use it on your phone today without carrier interference. This is pretty big news, so let’s get into the details.
Update 3 will begin rolling out to devices in the next few weeks. This morning they wrote a blog post to describe what new features will be coming with the update. We’ve seen countless leaks and rumors about the features, but now we can put them all to rest. This is what you can expect in Update 3:
- Support for 1080p displays.
- Support for new quad-core processors.
- Driving Mode: turns off distracting notifications while you’re driving. Can be set up to auto-text replies while in driving mode.
- Suite of apps for accessibility.
- Ability to close apps from the multitasking screen.
- Custom sounds.
- Better storage management with new storage views and the ability to clear temporary files.
- Screen rotation lock.
- Ability to connect to WiFi during phone setup and restore.
The best thing about Update 3 is that many people will be able to download it today. Microsoft has announced a new “developer” program that will give anyone with a developer account or App Studio account the ability to download OS updates early. Usually Microsoft sends updates to the carriers who then send them to the phone. This way if you are a fanatic you can get the update straight from Microsoft.
In order to do this you will need a Windows Phone Developer account, which you can get for $19, or a free App Studio account.
- Go to developer.windowsphone.com
- Select “Windows Phone Preview for Developers.”
- If you qualify, you can download this app on your phone.
- Open the app on your phone and follow the instructions.
- Go to Settings>Phone Update and check for an update.
- It should be available. Let it do it’s thing.
There are a few catches to this. Since this update is from Microsoft it only includes features from Microsoft. Nothing from your carrier or OEM is included. Once you install Update 3 there is no going back to GDR2, which by the way is what you need in order to do any of this. Lastly, you will void your warranty by doing this.